Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lessons in Filters


Sitting at Nordstrom Café the other day waiting for my lunch and there is a family of three waiting for their meal. It’s a mom and a grandma and a daughter and the daughter is wearing pink. Of course she is, she’s the daughter and she’s about seven and that’s what seven year old daughters and granddaughters do.

They wear pink.

I wish we could wear more pink. I’m gonna wear more pink. I’ll be the one in Irvine wearing pink this weekend.

So, Sweet Little Girl is sitting there and her grandma starts caressing her long brown locks and SLG SHOUTS out, “you could do that all day because that feels so good and I like that.”

Rare. The SLG Brain is. It says what it feels and what it doesn’t feel and what it likes and what it doesn’t like and shares and gives and shouts and wants and has pleasure and pain and just, well, experiences.

I miss The SLG Brain in all its excess and unfilteredness. I despise having to say all the proper things and the right things and the yes things and the no things and the things people want to hear instead of the things I want to tell them or the things that are deep inside my brain.

Like, “Oh, you could do that all day because that feels good and I like that.”

Or, “I need you.”

Or, “please be my friend because I think you would be a great friend and I promise not to be atrocious on Tuesdays and most Thursdays and only on Fridays.”

Sweet Little Girl Brain. Sweet most of the time. Sharp nearly all of the time. Unfiltered excessively always in the best way.

Much love,
Cole

5 comments:

  1. love this... SO true... ahh to have an SLG brain again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! I'm thinking maybe there are times for it even as a grown woman. Just yesterday I was completely filtered and closed up and then decided to let the SLG Brain flow and told BF all my feelings and we came out the other side of our conversation so much better. Worth consideration? Glad to have you along. *smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss that SLG brain, too. Thanks for sharing! The problem with such fabulous insights is I ALWAYS forget them through my day. Like you said, going through the motions, filtered, etc.

    I need a magnet - "Don't forget to use your SLG brain today" with a cool retro chic. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like being around kids because they remind me what I was like before I hit my thirties and things started to get emotional and depressing. Now it's much better, but it takes work. Carefree is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Gabrielle A magnet, you ask? Hmmm...you should see the tshirts I've been working on!

    @Kelly That's the best part of quiet lunches! I get to listen when I would normally work. And learning from the unfiltered SLG Brain awakens so much, doesn't it? Would love to hear what you hear on random days, ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...