Tuesday, June 8, 2010

38 Mitzvahs: Cole's Birthday Project

Brought to you by the numbers: 1, 16, 37 15/16 and almost forty!

It’s that time. That time when I turn another year closer to middle age but remain pre middle age. There are more wrinkles. More lessons. More bruises. Certainly more age spots. And for those of you that attempt to call them freckles, they aren’t. They are the same ones my Mamma had. Admit it.

I love it all because it means I’ve another year under my belt in being humbled and humiliated and humored. Another year of lessons and love and life. Another year of learning and listening. Another year of setting down stones instead of throwing them.

Growing up sucks sometimes but if it means when I’m 83 I’ll finally be nice and graceful and kind and perhaps a bit wise, well, then, what the hell…I’m in.

THE PROJECT.
Rather than getting presents, I’m requesting and challenging you to perform ONE MITZVAH, one act of kindness, by June 16 in honor of my birthday. My goal is for 38 acts of kindness to be performed. Really, I’m hoping for many more but I like themes. (I’m an event planner.)

Some things people did last year for our project:
Bought a homeless woman breakfast. Put an extra special snack in their kids lunch. Babysat for a couple so they could go out. Gave money to a charity. Bought coffee at Starbucks for strangers. Paid an elderly couples dinner tab anonymously. Forgave. Asked forgiveness.

Join me? Forward this link to your friends? Giving everyday is beautiful but if you’d give for my birthday that would really bless me and bless someone else and probably bless you, too.  Share and we’ll post what happens from Twitter, My Blog and Facebook.

Much love from an almost forty year old
(37 15/16 sounds so much better),
Cole

20 comments:

  1. This is rad! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such fun and so fulfilling last year. Love having you as my first supporter and participant!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea, I will definitely get in on this too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honored to have you join us! Already feeling the love. Please post what you end up doing here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! If anyone is stumped about what they can do, there's an iPhone appthat has daily "do good" ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, Cole! I'm in. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Michelle @Lisa You both make me very Wednesday Happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a great idea! It must be cause those of us with June Birthdays are so smart and wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so great! I commented on Twitter last night that "I'm in" but wanted to leave a note here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lost Plum It's that chaotic, creative dual brain. :)
    @Jenelyn Saw your tweet and love that you're onboard.
    @all Y'all are warming my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am soooo in girl - stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So inspiring Cole, but wait you're almost 38, you honestly look like you're 23!!! Seriously I am not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in! I paid for the guy behind me in the drive through at McDonalds the other day (don't judge...it's my once a week brekky treat LOL)

    Have a great birthday! Love the idea of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huge believer in buying breakfast for the car behind me. Woman after my own heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too fun!! I going to try to do this today!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. For your birthday, I paid for the Slurpee the kid behind me in line was going to buy. Hope you had a great birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. See? They completely were not expecting that! Love the gut instinct you all are showing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was my random act of kindness: A friend really wanted a completely frivolous set of themed cookie cutters for his kids but it was not in their budget since he has essentially been out of work for awhile now. I purchased the cookie cutters and mailed it to his family.

    Happy Birthday lady! Hope your day was truly fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this one and my mom would have even more. She.used to make our sandwiches cookie cutter shapes. You bless me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I decided some money I had set aside for a personal want was better spent on someone else's need. So I decided to help this person. And I wasn't even thinking about this when I did it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...