Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lessons in Wills


Brought to you by the year 2003.    I wondered a bit on Twitter yesterday if Will would phone me from the airport as he headed out to Cairo.  You see, he always does that and normally the calls are full of him out of breath as he races for the check-in or sits down in his seat.  He generally runs late, Will does but he always, always phones me to say he's on the plane and to say goodbye and we have our chat about us.  That's just what we do, Will and I.

Things are changing though.  This trip to Cairo Will is getting married and not to me.  And you may wonder how my soul is resting with that.  I'll have to let you know Monday.  He's sending me the feed so I can watch him take his vows live.  A little twisted watching the former, first love of my life get married to someone else?  No, not at all.  When you love someone from the gut and know they aren't for you and that they are for someone else, you even want to be there for the big moments even if the big moments aren't for you

So my phone rings and it's Will and it's the last call he's going to make to me as "us".  You know...I'm not going to be first or even second probably not third on his phone anymore.  I'm sure I haven't been for sometime.  Still, he makes the call and it goes something like this:

Cole:  Are you on the plane?
Will: Seat 29. (Will is a nano engineer and likes to get to the point)
Cole: Really? You called.  You did.
Will:  Seat 29.  I told you.
Cole: What if I told you I loved you.  Would you change your mind?
Will:  Come on.  First of all, you're not in love with me.  Second, you're still a lion and the only benefit to marrying you is having white babies.  Maybe I should marry you.  (Will is Egyptian and desperately wants white babies)
Cole: What time is the ceremony?
Will: I'll send you the link.  You can watch it live.  I'll even wave goodbye to you.  (brutal, he is)
Cole: I love you. I love you.  I love you.  You gave me the best of everything.
Will:  Stop it.  I'm not dying.  Not til I marry this one anyway.  Then you two can fight over who speaks at my funeral.  No, Habibti, you gave me the best, first six years in America I could imagine.  I love you.  I'm going to bring The Wife (that's what we call her) to California and she's going to like you.  I'm going to make her like you.

I walked back inside my office and Miss Chloe, my assistant asked if I was okay.  With tears in my eyes, the only thought I can muster is I feel sentimental.  Not sad, not depressed, not regretful...full of memories and adoration for a man that helped raise me into a full pre middle age woman. 

I do less stomping of my feet because of you, Habibi.  I am calmer because of you.  I've been to places I never would have seen and met people I never would have met.  And learned a language that some see as so harsh but I hear such beauty in.  You opened my heart to another world and gave me a million memories that I'll paper someday. 

For now my heart is grateful, so grateful, for an airplane call.

Cole

7 comments:

  1. That can be really difficult. You're handling it like a woman full of grace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me choke up. I hope that in my lifetime I learn half the grace, love and strength that you showed in that one phone call.

    Still choked up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's just heartbreaking. And rings of "My Best Friend's Wedding" only in real life - which makes it even more sad. That story was better when it was fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonfiction always is a bit sadder, huh? I still wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (I originally typed "sadder" in my previous comment - but then thought: I'm not sure if that's a word and I don't want Cole, in all her linguistic finesse, to un-like me. Good to see you're a fan of that word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer more sadder but felt it pushing things. Linguistic finesse? *blushing*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading your blog does help Cole. Is it sad or even a bit malicious to say that reading about someone else’s heartache makes it a little easier to deal with your own?… just to get the satisfaction to know that you’re not alone. <3 You are a strong woman. Thank you.3

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...